Sunday 11 July 2021

The Road Trip

 The Road Trip

Beth O'Leary



Reviewed by Helen


This is a story that will take readers on a trip from England to Scotland for a wedding five people in a mini, all different personalities, four connected in some way and it tells the story of love and hurt, there are some funny parts and some deep thinking to be done on this trip, come along and meet Deb, Addie, Dylan, Marcus and Rodney.

Sisters Addie and Deb start off on a trip everything is planned, stops, snacks and playlists that is until a car slams into the back of their mini, the driver is Addie’s ex Dylan and his best friend Marcus. Their relationship did not end well and they have not talked for eighteen months, but Addie and Deb are quick to offer them a lift seeing as they are all heading to the same wedding, was it the right decision?

This trip ends up being an emotional roller coaster, especially for Addie and Dylan with questions from their past not answered and Marcus being his usual terrible self at times there is a lot of angst, but there is an opening up between them as well, this is good to see but is it good for Marcus as well? You can feel that the love they have for each other is still there but can they overcome the past and make it work for the future?

This was an up and down story for me, I struggled at first getting into it, but Beth O’Leary pulled me in and there were lots of emotions for me as well I could feel the anger with Marcus at times and then I felt so much for Dylan and his life and Addie she really is beautiful and caring and I was turning the pages to find out what happens between them all. This is a witty and emotional story and I did enjoy it very much and I am sure that many people will as well, one that I do recommend.

My thanks to Hachette AU for my copy to read and review.

4 stars
Published April 29th 2021 by Hachette AU