Friday 4 October 2024

A Saxon Shadow

 A Saxon Shadow

Chief Inspector Shadow #8

H L Marsay



Reviewed by Helen


I came into this series late and I have only read book one and now this one, but I loved the first one and this one as well and I am really looking forward to catching up with the others in the series, I am loving Chief Inspector John Shadow set in his ways and not impressed with all of the new ways of policing and then there is Sergeant Jimmy Chang, they make a fabulous team together.

There is a lot happening around York at the moment vandalism in the ruins of St Mary’s Abbey not to mention the break and enters that have been happening and Shadow and Jimmy are on the case when they are called to The Mill house when the owner and eccentric business man and one who obsessed with Saxon history is found dead in his study. It appears that it may have been a burglary gone wrong with another one in the village that same time as well, but is it, can Shadow and Jimmy get the answers they need to discover what happened?

This one is filled with such fabulous characters most interested in the Saxon history of the area and searching for a treasure trove of historical items that people have been searching for, for many years, the list of suspects grows as does Shadow’s indigestion with Jimmy’s mind moving fast and coming up with thoughts as well.

This is such a fabulous mystery, it had me thinking I didn’t pick the culprit till the very end, this story is witty and I love the interaction between Shadow and Jimmy, I do highly recommend this one, I am looking forward to catching up with the series.

My thanks to Tule Publishing for my digital copy to read and review.

5 stars
October 7, 2024 by Tule Publishing